Welcome to Volume 1, Chapter 1. The first article I read was Bill Overton's new chapter in the Handbook of Life-Span Development, appropriately titled "Life-Span Development: Concepts and Issues." Here's my brief take:
Reading this article reminded me that sometime (almost a year ago), somewhere (Ed's office), I really felt like I was "getting it", in terms of contemporary developmental theory. It was a nice reminder. Like most of his articles, this current Overton piece is quite dense, reading almost as if a department of current grad students could, one by one, find dissertation-worthy concepts in every paragraph/sentence/italicization etc. It's still challenging to me how to incorporate these concepts (relational developmental systems, mostly) into a paper of program in a more-than-cursory, just-citing-Overton-and-calling-your-work-relational way. As a career idea, I think we'd get ahead if we embraced this kind of language/theory throughout manuscripts, rather than only in the introduction.
Rating: 8 (out of 10) Jetts (a small cute black dog that will be our scoring method).
No comments:
Post a Comment